In the overnight hours of Wednesday morning, fire broke out in a mobile home on Des Moines' Northside. Inside the mobile home slept five family members and two dogs. The nine year old son, Juan Gomez did wake up. He smelled what he thought was popcorn, but it smelled even stronger than that. He looked and saw his home on fire. He barged into his mom's room, woke her up and got she, her mom's boyfriend and two little sisters (and their two dogs) out of the mobile home. The mobile home was a complete loss.
KCCI spoke with Juan Gomez and his mother. The family was to have left for Disneyworld today, but because of the fire, those plans are on hold.
Veridian Credit Union has a fund set up for the family. You can, also, donate to their GoFundMe.